Table of Contents

Minutes 2 February 2016

Friends Peace Teams in Asia West Pacific
Working Group Minutes and Agenda
Skype Meeting Tuesday/Wednesday February 2nd/3rd, 2016

Present: Jane Drexler, Nadine Hoover, Gay Howard, Margie Hunter, Valerie Joy, Fenna Mandolang, Tom Martin, John Michaelis, Petrus, Nick Rozard, Elizabeth Walmsley, Josh Albertson

Agenda Preview:
Check In Sentence
Questions and Feedback on News and Updates
Initiative Coordinators
FPT Council
Resources Needed
Annual Statement for Australia
2016 PeaceWays article for theme: “What would each initiative do if it doubled its income?”
2016 PeaceQuest gathering workshop and other contributions
If time: Share any new Friendship Letters. What is alive for you in our work? What stories have you been sharing about FPT-AWP? Any issues, concerns, or questions?
Closing Word

The meeting opened with a moment of silence.

Check in sentence:
Jane Drexler-I’m involved in Quaker service and off to Cambodia to work there and looking at circumstances involved with peace and evaluate the violence in the region
Nadine Hoover-Doing well, just back from Indonesia, I have a wild boar tick bite. Find out I’m allergic to Neosporin. This week starting a series of workshops in Alfred with community, college, and Bangcock resident looking to send some people for the summer session of workshops.
Gay Howard-My daughter Astrid is here she spends time in Brazil nice to have her here
Margie Hunter Going well. Starting the process of wedding plans, my own
Valerie Joy- Had a lovely time in England and parts of Europe. Working out what I can do this year.
Fenna Mandolang Had a convergence of my AVP and Contact Improv worlds. Inspired a college student to work in AVP, who is now working at the Ghandi Center in Rochester, NY. Last week, she attended a Contact Improv workshop in Buffalo, NY and met a fellow Rochester resident. Now the two of them are going to experiment with offering a non-violence and contact workshop!
Tom Martin- Had to recently cancel an AVP workshop at my Meeting due to little interest. It will all work out.
John Michaelis I’m being driven toward efficiency and I’m confident about my new business venture. Dates are in the works for workshops.
Petrus- Introduced AVP to university students and faculty. Every Saturday and Sunday doing AVP materials with teens. Active and having a good time.
Nick Rozard Last few weeks have been going great for water filters, microbiology breakthroughs and hoping I’m getting close
Elizabeth Walmsley-Doing ok, January was rough, allergic reaction resulting in infected arm and allergic to antibiotics as well. Thrilled today is Feb. 2nd.
Josh Albertson-Attending Quaker meeting from age of 18. Attends meeting in Buffalo. Never heard of FPT before this. Thinking on being our US Treasurer. Just listening for now.

Questions and Feedback on News and Updates:
Report from Bhutanese-US Coordinator on Visit #1 and #2
Two questions/concerns: Elizabeth has already used the travel budget allotted. How to move forward? Also, this is a slow process. How to respond to Jamuna’s desire to visit soon?
Elizabeth was encouraged to visit, with Quaker meetings or others, as a way of raising funds to support her other visiting with the Bhutanese populations. Elizabeth was also encouraged to reach out to Jamuna’s second contact name and Amy Raskusin to test the waters and gauge possible timing of a visit from Jamuna.

Nancy Shelley Bequest – Blue Mountains Local Meeting Application

Indonesia – no update this month

Nepal – no update this month

Philippines – no update this month

Power of Goodness – no update this month


Initiative Coordinators: Trying to put together a changed Nepal trip due to changes in their support partners. John is also trying to put together a Nepali concert in Australia, trying to repeat success from last year.

Requests for the Working Group
Yearly Meeting gathering materials:
I am planning to order more brochures and video postcards to include in the materials people can bring to their YM annual gathering. Will we need other materials to send out with those two things? Last year we sent out the Nepal earthquake appeal letter as well as flyer with needs and accomplishments. We just completed and mailed out the Annual Report to all the YMs but I could put together a one sheet needs and accomplishments flyer if people would like to take that with them. If I am to do this I will need updates on the status of the Needs to include (Bringing Jamuna to the US, Peace Place land campaign, Translation initiative, International training scholarships, others?).

The working group supported including the existing annual report flyer with the postcard and brochure.

Jamuna’s travel to the US:-
Jamuna has written her Friendship Letter and talked with her employer about taking time off for travel. She would like to travel soon.
1. Someone needs to coordinate where she will be traveling to, and with whom she will be working.
2. We need to share this to see if we can get any donations to help offset her travel expenses. Jamuna’s Friendship Letter can be found here:

Elizabeth will attempt to reach out to Jamuna again in order to start working together

In January I began to prepare for the Yearly Meetings for 2016 by updating the YM spreadsheet. I will need to know what materials to prepare and how many of each to send out. Working Group members should expect to see an email from me about a month before their YM. I also have been working with John Kintree on a way to record donations so they can be clearly reported on our end of year annual report. And I have begun to develop a strategy for tracking and maintaining sustainers but I will need help with this. I started categorizing my routine work on sustainers and keeping donation records as ‘Tracking’ and my development work on creating the system as ‘Development’ so we should be able to see uptick in time to make it easier to track my new responsibilities. I have been trying to coordinate communication between people involved in bringing Jamuna to the US to work with Bhutanese refugees but it has been hard to clearly understand where everyone stands on that project.

People who have expressed an interest (most recent):- Nadine to follow up with the following three
Name  • Date of last contact • Interest
Heidi Ahrens 10/19/2015 “We would love to work abroad on a project for up to 1 year.”
Rachel Bond 12/21/2015 interested in “doing service work abroad with a Quaker organization… 6 to 12 months”
Joanne Lauterjung Kelly 1/25/2016 “We’re thinking of going to Bali during water festival in April, which got me thinking about a side trip to meet you. I’m still very interested in the work you’re doing, and am wondering if sometime during the 2nd half of April you’d be available to meet with me?”

Sustainers due (contact month listed as February):
None for February

RiseUp Members ADDED this month:
Bill & barbara Christwitz
Lilianne Fan

RiseUp Members ASKED to be removed this month:

RiseUp Members deleted due to bouncing email:
Kristine Evans “undeliverable address”


Treasurer: none this month.


FPT Council:
FPT Council Meeting Report to the AWP Initiative Working Group, 2/2/16
On a well-attended call via Skype (15 members of the Council) Friends were pleased with our work and our governance. Articles for Spring Peace Ways are underway, and our article is due 2/5—text, photos, and captions.

There is an opportunity for us to provide a workshop for PeaceQuest 2016, the Saturday following the F2F in Olympia WA (5/19 & 20). Even better we could offer 2 or more? Do we want to “tour” Friends Meetings in the PNW, to raise awareness and donations?

The annual audit draft was approved and will be posted on the FPT website.

The FPT Fund Raising Committee now has five members: Adrian Bishop (Treasurer), Roy Zatcoff (Assistant Treasurer), Dave Zarembka (AGLI Coordinator), Nancy Shippen (Assistant Clerk of the Council) and Tom Martin (Clerk of the Council). We have a professional fundraiser advising us, John Coffin a Friend from Little Rock and former fund raiser for the University of Arkansas. The focus so far is reaching out to our donor base, no matter what the intended usage for a donation—an initiative, the General Fund, or non-specific. I believe our structure and practices will come under review again, and that the proposal from AWP from years ago will be recommended, that each initiative pay its share from its own donations of any deficit caused by infrastructure expenses. Another option is a tithe (10% of the funds raised by the initiatives). We’ll see.

The PLA Transition to a new Coordinator is underway with more than 20 respondents so far. The PLA search committee brought the question(s) to the Council on hiring a non-Quaker and/or non-North American. There is caution about that option(s), and the Council will wait for the recommendation of the search committee for hiring.

We are working on our FPT “elevator messages,” and John Michaelis has created a Google Docs link for each of us to submit that text with comments.

The Communications Committee (Gay, John, Tom and Vickie Aldrich) will be working on a replacement for the FPT Communications Specialist, Kirsten Mandala, who left 12/31. We will start with a review of the current job description to concentrate on the website, social media, publicity articles for Friends publications, and an email newsletter.

Gay-to put together ideas of a tour for Nadine on the West coast USA.

Resources Needed:
• Fund Jamuna Shrestha to visit Bhutanese refugees resettled in the US (US$2,400). Baltimore would probably be one of the three communities scheduled for the visit.
• Support an Afghani women’s rights activist to join the International Workshop in Java (US$2,000) early in 2016! If we can do it for Jan 2017 with Miriam, otherwise we should delete this.
• Support a Palestinian women’s counselor to join the International Workshop in Java (US$2,000) early in 2016! Miriam Abu Turk asked for this, but Joe DiGarbo does not think Jan 2016 is the right time. Maybe Jan 2017.
• Youth manual translation into Nepali . $3-4,000 US dollars

Australian Annual Statement for Friends Peace Teams Asia West Pacific
1 November 2014 – 31 October 2015

Nepal Travel

Nepal General
Legal Costs

Nepal Relief
Accountant Costs

Sustainer Funds
Nepal Relief

General Funds
Concert Expense

FPT Australia

Total Expenses

Total Income

Opening Bank Balance $1,679.99



Closing Bank Balance $16,603.71

FPT-AWP Working Group received the Australian Annual Statement for Friends Peace Teams Asia West Pacific with bank statements to verify the ending balance of $16,603.71 and approve submission of this report to the Australian Department of Fair Trading by Jane Drexler.

2016 PeaceWays article for theme: “What would each initiative do if it doubled its income?”
Are there any volunteers to write and/or edit an article in the next two days?
Nadine will write the article. Tom will assist with editing

2016 PeaceQuest gathering workshop and other contributions
Who is attending the 2016 PeaceQuest? Tom for sure.
Do any of those attending volunteer to speak about FPT-AWP? In what setting?

Nadine plans to attend this year if Gay Howard makes a suggestion for visitation that makes the trip worthwhile. It is expensive and we can’t afford for Nadine to go if it does not bring in some income to FPT-AWP.

Closing word:
Jane Drexler-busy
Nadine Hoover Jetlagged, grateful
Gay Howard- Going to work hard
Margie Hunter-Sleepy
Valerie Joy-Keeping Calm at all times
Fenna Mandolang Connection
Tom Martin Hooray
Nick Rozard-Refugees
Elizabeth Walmsley-thoughtful
Josh Albertson-Cheers

NEXT CALL March 1st/2nd 2016

People not on the call with whom to follow up:Maxine Claire Cooper
Shawna Doran, Anne Eggleton, Chris Hughes, Subhash Kattel, John Michaelis
Jim Palmer, Ludwig bon Quirog, Deb Wood