Table of Contents
- Reference letter from David Wicks regarding Esther Cowley-Malcolm
- Travel Minute for Esther Cowley–Malcolm 2014
- Barak Induk, North Sumatra Feb 2013
- Langsa, East Aceh Feb 2013
- Peace Place Pati Feb 2013
- Seuneuddon, North Aceh Feb, 2013
- Travel Minute for Barbara Thomas, Martha Baer & Harriett Nettles 2013
- Tunas Baru Preschool Teachers
- Peace Place Trainer, Pati, Central Java, Indonesia
- South Central Yearly Meeting
- Friends Meeting of Austin, TX, USA
- FWCC-Asia/West Pacific Section
- Travel Minute 2010- Indonesian
- Travel Minute 2010- English
- Letter to FPT Indonesia Supporters Seunaddon, North Aceh
- Seunaddon, North Aceh
- Saints Brendan and Jude Catholic Parish
- Meredu, Pidie Aceh
- Alternatives to Violence Basic Workshop in East Aceh
- Pidie, Province of Nanggroe Aceh Darussalam
- Village of Jaring Halus, North Sumatra
- Travel Minute for Nadine Hoover 2005
- Medan, North Sumatra
- PA Sigli, Pidie, Aceh
- Trienggadeng, Pidie, Aceh
- Travel Minute for Nadine Hoover
- Yogyakarta, Java
- Indonesia Yearly Meeting 2010
- Update 13 March 2008
- Update 17 Feb 2008
- Minutes 17 Feb 2008
Minutes 17 Feb 2008
Conference call, 2/17/08
Present: Nadine Hoover, Gay Howard, Tom Martin. Regrets from Pamela Haines, Ly Kesse and Kathryn Tomlinson.
In addition to reviewing Nadine’s report, we discussed the following:
Sarah is posting on the travel blog at http://www.consciencestudio.com/travel If you go there, look at the address line at the top of the browser and see the blue icon with the RSS. Click on it and look to the bottom right and see “Actions” and click on the bookmark. This will bookmark the blog on your browser and show you a number beside it of how many new entries have come in that you have not read.
Sarah’s pilot testing of the eight gig flash drive is doing well, but the flash drive only works on computers with USB and many of the ones she has access to do not have USB. But the ones that don’t have USB usually have internet access so she’s updating the web.
Nadine is instant messaging with Ferry three mornings a week, which she is very excited about. When we try for three mornings, we get at least two which is plenty for me. He has gone to Langkat to see the conflict refugees and to visit with the priest, Pak Pri. So we’ll see what he has to say when he returns. Nadine went over a long list of assignments for him to follow up on.
Nadine is trying out Twitter at www.twitter.com. She signed on as email@example.com We’ll see if this helps or just takes more time on the computer.
Gay is ready to write thank you’s to people who have contributed. Nadine will see if Kathy has been writing thank yous as well. To do both has two schools of thought: 1) the it-can’t-hurt vs. is-it-simple? schools of thought. When Kathy does it, it is more reliable than when volunteers do it. If we were to do it also, it would be nice to not include the tax statement and just make it a personal thank you in which Gay can share some of the things that are important to her and ask about the person’s interests and encourage them to write about what’s important to them about the work and any suggestions or questions they have. Nadine will write Kathy to clarify this with her and then email Gay to let her know if Kathy has done the tax letters since November.
Ceramic Filter Training.
No news yet, but hopefully soon. They had a meeting yesterday, but we have not heard the results. Nadine’ll email when she has news. Tom said that the finance committee was very interested and positive about the ceramic filter training.
Letter Agreement with Ferry. Friends approved the letter of agreement and understand the responsibility for us to do the fundraising necessary for this move.
Fundraising. Nadine shared the idea she is proposing to FPT Council that we personally approach meetings to request meetings put un-earmarked FPT contributions in their budgets. Nadine read parts of the draft letter she is proposing. Tom suggested that FPT needs the short version of the story of “how FPT began” probably in someone’s kitchen. Nadine will try to find that out and maybe add it to the letter after the intro paragraph. The spiritual companions are encouraged to approach your own meeting, neighboring meetings, meetings in your yearly meeting and your yearly meeting to request this. It might be best to wait for the letter we are drafting though—that might help. We should see if the Council likes this approach or not first also. They meet on Tuesday night at 9:15. If FPT can stabilize the donations to the core adminstration through this manner, then the working groups can focus on field activities for all the fundraising, which will be clearer.
Simple presentation materials. Nadine produced some simple presentation materials for the Ft. Lauderdale presentation, but feels they need to be simpler yet. Tom reminded us that Vicki Cooley said, “Don’t tell them all, just give them a little and get their interest.” She’s still ministering to us today!
- Nadine is working hard on presentations for Friends Peace Teams. The Ft. Lauderdale presentation was interesting. All the pictures used to be helpful when she first started doing the presentations, now they feel like they get in the way—like she makes less connection with the people. Kathy Hersh’s asked the question, “Can you give a concrete example of how INGOs are intertwined with the agenda of corporations?” that has stuck with her. Nadine hopes to write on that someday.
- Tom and Gay introduced themselves to each other. Tom was on Nadine’s oversight committee in New York Yearly Meeting and has recently moved to Austin TX. Gay was Nadine’s original overseer in Florida and now lives in Los Osos CA. Nadine says Gay “raised her up” in Quaker practice. Both Gay and Tom are connecting with AVP in their areas.
- Since Kathryn Tomlinson in London cannot be on the conference calls, we decided to move the time to 9pm NY time on Sunday. The next call will be 3/16/08. If this is a problem for anyone, please let Nadine know as soon as possible.