Table of Contents
- 2016 March • Earthquake Strikes Mentawai Island
- A Decade of Tsunami Relief: Author chat with Nadine Hoover of Friends Peace Teams
- Tunas Baru Preschool’s First College Graduate!
- 2015 FPT-AWP Annual report
- Update: How you can help the people of Barak Induk
- People of Barak Induk once again under attack
- 2015 June • News from Joglo Preschool
- Minute approved on 2 June 2015 by the AWP Working Group
- Nepal Earthquake Relief Log
- Visiting communities to listen to stories of loss and repair destroyed hopes for survival
- Nepal Relief Update
- Nepal Earthquake Appeal Letter
- First batch of relief support is distributed in Nepal
- Stay at the FPT Guesthouse in Pati, Indonesia
- Silaturahmi: The Power of Visiting
- News from Palestine and Israel
- Exploratory Workshop: Connecting with Australia’s First Peoples
- Community Reading Room and the Barak Induk New Generation AVP Team
- Floods in Pati, Central Java
- “Power of Goodness” has come under the care of FPT-AWP
- Good News for Global Drinking Water!
- AWP Fall 2013 Newsletter
- PeaceWays Newsletter Fall-Winter 2013-14 issue
- News August 3 2013
- News June 26 2013
- News from Nanik at Peace Place
- News April 1 2013
- News February 25 2013
- Activities at Peace Place in February 2013
- Report to Australia Yearly Meeting January 2013
- Peace Is Possible 16 January 2013
- Petrus sent us a letter from Peace Place in Central Java today.
- News August 2012
- News August 1, 2012
- News June 2012
- News May 2012
- Expanding from Indonesia to Asia West Pacific!
- News 12 April 2011
- Peace is Possible 9 March 2011
- News 14 Dec 2010
- News 25 Nov 2010
- News, 10 Aug 2010
- News 20 July 2010
- News 15 April 2010
- News 8 March 2010
- Water Filters 21 Jan 2010
- News 18 Jan 2010
- Teacher Update 18 Jan 2010
- News 27 Oct 2009
- News 19 Sept 2009
- News 15 May 2009
- News 16 April 2009
- News 28 Feb 2009
- News 15 Feb 2009
- News 9 Feb 2009
- News 14 Jan 2009
- PIPA Letter to Indonesian Government January 2009
- News 12 Dec 2008
- News 13 Nov 2008
- Request for Teachers
April 27 2008
- News 13 April 2008
Silaturahmi: The Power of Visiting
The film Silaturahmi: The Power of Visiting offers a powerful sense of the work of Friends Peace Teams in Indonesia, Nepal and the Philippines, through many voices. Silaturahmi means visiting. Muslims consider visiting, without agenda as one visits family or friends, mandatory for building and maintaining spiritual community. This resonates well with a Quaker approach to peace work, bridging among communities in conflict, Christians and Muslims as well as other international and local groups.
Your help in sharing our news makes a big contribution, by freeing us up to focus on the work!
Please consider taking steps to:
- Show the film at your meeting, school, home or other social group. Use the questions below to facilitate discussion and give people time to visit among themselves.
- Schedule an interview with one of us who have done this work. If Internet is available, arrange a Skype interview, using audio alone or audio and video. We’ve been successful with something as simple as a ten-minute interview over someone’s smart phone that is held up in the air over a group!
- Post the information in your newsletters or social media and invite Friends to share about this film widely.
- Request copies of the promotional postcard to mail to a friend who may be interested in supporting or getting involved in this work.
Write to Asia@FriendsPeaceTeams.org to schedule an interview or request brochures and postcards to share at events. As a grassroots Friends’ organization, by and for Friends, we exist to the degree that we as Friends engage in this ministry together.
Consider organizing a showing and discussion of this film. Members of AWP are available to travel to your location or to meet with your group over Skype.
We suggest these discussion questions:
- What stood out to you?
- What did you find encouraging?
- What did you find troubling?
- What might you think or do differently now?