Table of Contents
- 2016 March • Earthquake Strikes Mentawai Island
- A Decade of Tsunami Relief: Author chat with Nadine Hoover of Friends Peace Teams
- Tunas Baru Preschool’s First College Graduate!
- 2015 FPT-AWP Annual report
- Update: How you can help the people of Barak Induk
- People of Barak Induk once again under attack
- 2015 June • News from Joglo Preschool
- Minute approved on 2 June 2015 by the AWP Working Group
- Nepal Earthquake Relief Log
- Visiting communities to listen to stories of loss and repair destroyed hopes for survival
- Nepal Relief Update
- Nepal Earthquake Appeal Letter
- First batch of relief support is distributed in Nepal
- Stay at the FPT Guesthouse in Pati, Indonesia
- Silaturahmi: The Power of Visiting
- News from Palestine and Israel
- Exploratory Workshop: Connecting with Australia’s First Peoples
- Community Reading Room and the Barak Induk New Generation AVP Team
- Floods in Pati, Central Java
- “Power of Goodness” has come under the care of FPT-AWP
- Good News for Global Drinking Water!
- AWP Fall 2013 Newsletter
- PeaceWays Newsletter Fall-Winter 2013-14 issue
- News August 3 2013
- News June 26 2013
- News from Nanik at Peace Place
- News April 1 2013
- News February 25 2013
- Activities at Peace Place in February 2013
- Report to Australia Yearly Meeting January 2013
- Peace Is Possible 16 January 2013
- Petrus sent us a letter from Peace Place in Central Java today.
- News August 2012
- News August 1, 2012
- News June 2012
- News May 2012
- Expanding from Indonesia to Asia West Pacific!
- News 12 April 2011
- Peace is Possible 9 March 2011
- News 14 Dec 2010
- News 25 Nov 2010
- News, 10 Aug 2010
- News 20 July 2010
- News 15 April 2010
- News 8 March 2010
- Water Filters 21 Jan 2010
- News 18 Jan 2010
- Teacher Update 18 Jan 2010
- News 27 Oct 2009
- News 19 Sept 2009
- News 15 May 2009
- News 16 April 2009
- News 28 Feb 2009
- News 15 Feb 2009
- News 9 Feb 2009
- News 14 Jan 2009
- PIPA Letter to Indonesian Government January 2009
- News 12 Dec 2008
- News 13 Nov 2008
- Request for Teachers
April 27 2008
- News 13 April 2008
News 27 Oct 2009
Friends Peace Teams
INDONESIA INITIATIVE NEWS
October 2009 Nadine Hoover, Coordinator
1. Peace Team planned for early 2010! We are organizing our trip possibly for January 31 through March 29, 2010. Our goals are to:
- Spend as much time as possible in the areas of Aceh newly opened to reduce harassment and extortion that lasts beyond the war.
- Check on the quality assurance of the water filters and possibly order some to begin assembly and distribution in the refugee camp and Aceh.
- Check on the two wheelchairs we sent to the refugee camp and Aceh and to order more if they work well in those environments.
- Expand the AVP advanced workshops including trauma healing and train new AVP facilitators in Barak Induk and Aceh.
- Illustrate children’s books we have written and duplicate some finished books.
- Expand the creative ideas of pre-school teachers in Barak Induk especially.
Please let people know they should contact me if they would like to be considered for this team trip.
2. Water Filters are in production. Many difficulties have been surmounted: ceramic end-caps have been designed rather than very expensive, custom plastic ones, regular supply of raw materials has been secured, people have made room in their lives to dedicate the massive amount of time and energy it will take to see this through (a retired physician, Pak Pri, has dedicated himself full time to facilitating production), and a kiln has been secured that will be available for firings on a routine basis. Our filters are widely accepted and at this point being copied. Major international aide donors have copied our filter, conducted projects and presented at international conferences with photos of filters identical to ours. When we followed up, however, this came from one project that had produced thirty-two prototypes. They have not even begun thinking about production capacity. SHEEP is in production of filters (190 last month’s report) and is currently working on a quality assurance procedure to ensure every single filter produced will be reliable. SHEEP is looking into concerns about patents. We support open source technology, but are concerned about low-quality copy-cats threatening public trust in the filters. For future insurance, it might be best to patent the technology in Indonesia so if such a case arises there is the possibility of legal recourse. As soon as the quality assurance procedure is in place, we will bring filters to Barak Induk and Aceh to begin assembly and distribution there.
3. Trauma Healing AVP Advanced Lee Norton and I did four trauma treatments with three people in the US and one child in Manila. Lee is setting up a clinic in Manila for children taken off the streets and out of the commercial sex trade. She does treatment for them every Thursday evening over Skype. We then attended the national Trauma First Aide training; the quality was so poor we left after two hours. We were interested in the somatic elements of trauma recovery, which we assume others have developed, but continually find that the actual work behind the talk is not that good. So we spent the weekend working on it ourselves. I am very pleased with the development, but need to stay focused on writing down what we already have before we move on to new development.
4. Writing remains my primary goal. I have made some strides, but will have to put in a lot more hours to get products out, especially publishable ones. It is hard to balance communication, administration and fundraising for the Indonesia Initiative while I’m working full-time at massage and trying to write, but I will persist.
5. Fundraising I am grateful to Jamie Carestio and his family for doing a fundraising dinner that went really well and now putting the Acehnese bags in his mother’s kennel to sell with stories about our work. Hopefully that will generate some donations. Anything you can do to help raise funds for the next trip would be a great help.
6. Sabbatical is going very well. From June through August I took off completely and have taken off most of September and October as well, giving attention to family and friends, cleaning house, tending gardens, resting a lot and sometimes doing nothing. I have let this break go on as long as it was happening. Just recently I have begun to come back to it. So you may hear about more activity.
Please check your email address for me: Indonesia@FriendsPeaceTeams.org
In love and faith,