Table of Contents
- 6th Annual International Peace Training at Peace Place
- Alla Soroka shares her experience at the 2018 International Peace Training
- May 2018 • Updates from Indonesia
- Christians and Muslims Visit through Study at Joglo Preschool
- 2017 May • Papuans update after returning home from International Peace Training
- Anita reports on the 2017 Peace Training at Peace Place
- 2017 Feb • Hayley describes a transformative experience in Indonesia
- 2017 Feb • Nanik reports on the 4th Annual International Peace Training
- Perspectives on the 2017 International Peace Training
- 2017 Feb • Mentawai Islands
- Compassionate Listening Workshop at Peace Place
- 2017 Feb • Reflections from our 4th Annual International Peace Training
- Joglo Preschool
- 2017 Feb – Mar • 4th Annual International Training for Peace
- 2016 Jul-Aug • Joglo Preschool is Becoming a Model for Others
- Sharing the Power of Goodness at PhilYM
- 2016 June – July • Volunteering at Peace Place – Felicitas Zschoche from Germany
- 2016 June • American family of Four visiting Peace Place
- 2016 April – May • Peace Place Activity Update
- 2016 May-Sept • Feliz Zschoche volunteers at Peace Place
- 2016 March • Earthquake Strikes Mentawai Island
- A Decade of Tsunami Relief: Author chat with Nadine Hoover of Friends Peace Teams
- Tunas Baru Preschool’s First College Graduate!
- Barak Induk: Leaders to Meet Soon
- Presentation to University Muria Kudus, Central Java, Indonesia
- 2016 Jan • International Training at Peace Place
- Update: How you can help the people of Barak Induk
- People of Barak Induk once again under attack
- 2015 Dec – 2016 Jan • Friends Peace Team to Indonesia
- 2015 June • News from Joglo Preschool
- 2015 March • International Training for Peace
- 2015 Feb • Helping At Joglo Preschool
- Stay at the FPT Guesthouse in Pati, Indonesia
- 2014 Jan – Apr • Friends Peace Team Indonesia/Australia
- Never Underestimate the Power of a Few People — Growth Always Comes from Small Sprouts!
- Opening of the Taman Bermain Buemoe Ubeut (Small Earth Playground) Preschool in Langsa
- Petrus Introducing the new Joglo Preschool
- 2012 • Extended Service, Kristina Blank
- 2012 Jan – Mar • Indonesia Peace Team
- 2011 • FRIENDS IN BARAK INDUK UNDER ATTACK
- Children and teachers playing at The Peace Place.
- 2011 • Extended Service, Esther Buckwalter
- We did it! Indonesians run AVP basic workshop in East Aceh
- 2011 • Extend Service Nicholas Rozard
- 2011 Jun – Jul • Indonesia Peace Team
- 2011 April • FWCC Manila Peace Team
- 2011 Feb – Mar • Indonesia Peace Team
- 2009 • Voice of Barak Induk
- An Adventure in Indonesia, Stephen S. Haynes February 2007 unpublished article.
- 2006 • Friends in Conscience in Indonesia, Nadine Hoover; NYYM Spark: NYC, NY.
- 2006 • Alfred Builds Eight Houses In Tsunami Area, Nadine Hoover
- 2005 • Help or Hope for the Acehnese? The Human Face of War, by Nadine Hoover September 2005, unpublished manuscript.
- 2005 • Gratitude to Alfred Residents in Tsunami Aftermath, Nadine Hoover; Alfred Sun: Alfred, NY.
Alla Soroka shares her experience at the 2018 International Peace Training
It was very important for me to be a participant in the Trauma program. This is an actual topic in my country. Four years ago, we started a war in the eastern regions of the country. Many people began resettlement in safe areas. Some of them were under fire. Many families survived the tragedy. And until now we were all in the unknown; what will happen next? How long will this war last…
I have been working in the AVP program since 2005. We did our trainings for refugees, for families who suffered in this war, for people who were participants in a peaceful demonstration in Kiev. We saw that this program helps people cope with the burden of violence. It reminds people of human values.
Three years ago we began to make peace-making summer camps for refugee families. I realized that it would be good to know about any gentle ways of dealing with trauma in a group. When I was at a peace conference in the United States, Nadine Hoover invited me to Indonesia to study under her program of work with trauma. It was what I was looking for. I trust AVP, and people who create new programs. It was a rewarding experience.
I liked to be in the process of working with the injury in combination with the immersion in the resource. I liked that all participants of the training were focused on caring and support for each other. Injury plunges into reality and distorts. Nadine gave several exercises that helped us to bring this reality out, it was soft and gentle.
It was important for me to understand about secondary trauma. Volunteers who work with refugees often do not realize that they are traumatized. They need support in the same way. I think that this training would be very useful for them. Now we plan to do such trainings as well for volunteers who work in the gray zone with volunteers engaged in assistance to refugees.
I am very grateful to Nadine for her invitation and support. I really like what friends do in Indonesia. I want to wish the team that works in Indonesia, a lot of inspiration, courage, wisdom. I was so glad to meet all of you all.
Alla Soroka, Project Manager for This Child Here
Translated from Russian