Table of Contents
- 2017 May • Papuans update after returning home from International Peace Training
- 2017 Feb • Hayley describes a transformative experience in Indonesia
- 2017 Feb • Nanik reports on the 4th Annual International Peace Training
- Perspectives on the 2017 International Peace Training
- 2017 Feb • Mentawai Islands
- Compassionate Listening Workshop at Peace Place
- 2017 Feb • Reflections from our 4th Annual International Peace Training
- Joglo Preschool
- 2017 Feb – Mar • 4th Annual International Training for Peace
- 2016 Jul-Aug • Joglo Preschool is Becoming a Model for Others
- Sharing the Power of Goodness at PhilYM
- 2016 June – July • Volunteering at Peace Place – Felicitas Zschoche from Germany
- 2016 June • American family of Four visiting Peace Place
- 2016 April – May • Peace Place Activity Update
- 2016 May-Sept • Feliz Zschoche volunteers at Peace Place
- 2016 March • Earthquake Strikes Mentawai Island
- A Decade of Tsunami Relief: Author chat with Nadine Hoover of Friends Peace Teams
- Tunas Baru Preschool’s First College Graduate!
- Barak Induk: Leaders to Meet Soon
- Presentation to University Muria Kudus, Central Java, Indonesia
- 2016 Jan • International Training at Peace Place
- Update: How you can help the people of Barak Induk
- People of Barak Induk once again under attack
- 2015 Dec – 2016 Jan • Friends Peace Team to Indonesia
- 2015 June • News from Joglo Preschool
- 2015 March • International Training for Peace
- 2015 Feb • Helping At Joglo Preschool
- Stay at the FPT Guesthouse in Pati, Indonesia
- 2014 Jan – Apr • Friends Peace Team Indonesia/Australia
- Never Underestimate the Power of a Few People — Growth Always Comes from Small Sprouts!
- Opening of the Taman Bermain Buemoe Ubeut (Small Earth Playground) Preschool in Langsa
- Petrus Introducing the new Joglo Preschool
- 2012 • Extended Service, Kristina Blank
- 2012 Jan – Mar • Indonesia Peace Team
- 2011 • FRIENDS IN BARAK INDUK UNDER ATTACK
- Children and teachers playing at The Peace Place.
- 2011 • Extended Service, Esther Buckwalter
- We did it! Indonesians run AVP basic workshop in East Aceh
- 2011 • Extend Service Nicholas Rozard
- 2011 Jun – Jul • Indonesia Peace Team
- 2011 April • FWCC Manila Peace Team
- 2011 Feb – Mar • Indonesia Peace Team
- 2009 • Voice of Barak Induk
- An Adventure in Indonesia, Stephen S. Haynes February 2007 unpublished article.
- 2006 • Friends in Conscience in Indonesia, Nadine Hoover; NYYM Spark: NYC, NY.
- 2006 • Alfred Builds Eight Houses In Tsunami Area, Nadine Hoover
- 2005 • Help or Hope for the Acehnese? The Human Face of War, by Nadine Hoover September 2005, unpublished manuscript.
- 2005 • Gratitude to Alfred Residents in Tsunami Aftermath, Nadine Hoover; Alfred Sun: Alfred, NY.
2017 Feb • Nanik reports on the 4th Annual International Peace Training
On 12-14 February 2017, Peace Place in Pati, Central Java, Indonesia held the Fourth Annual International Peace Training with 34 participants from different areas in Indonesia, including Pati, Yogyakarta, Kediri, North Sumatra and West Papua, as well as from Nepal and the USA, including Portland Oregon, Boise Idaho, Pasadena California, Buffalo New York, and Washington DC. Their backgrounds included student, teacher, parent, housewife, imam, therapist, nurse and peace activist from different religious backgrounds including Christian, Catholic, Muslim, Hindu and Quaker. We were pleased to welcome Friends Peace Teams’ Finance Committee Clerk and new Communication Specialist.
The first three days of the workshop were an AVP Basic Workshop facilitated by Nanik, Petrus and Ninok with Erni apprenticing and Nadine translating. Each session included a moment of silence, gathering, agenda preview, activities, light and livelies, reflection and closing. For the gatherings, each participant said their name and where they were from and then divided into groups in three to answer the question, “Why am I interested in this workshop”. After each activity, participants divided into groups of three or four to debrief on how they felt or what they learned, then in the large group spoke to any implications for us as a people. The diverse backgrounds of the participants made the discussion very interesting and deep.
Nadine, Subhash, Yehudah and Joanie facilitated a day on trauma resiliency and Rene and Ann facilitated two days on Transformative Mediation. The final day half the group did a one-day Transformative Mediation practicum while the other half did a one-day Developmental Play practicum.
This year we focused on land rights activists as well as teachers and parents. Locally, the cement industry’s mountaintop removal combined with government neglect of river management and Japanese trollers blocking the river outlet has led to massive flooding in the Pati area. Pak Sunhadi and Mar’ah were often late as they fought rising water levels each morning. Mislan and Saring from Barak Induk, North Sumatra face police confiscation of the fruits of their labor while they wait on an official ruling on their land claims after 17 years of being displaced by the war in Aceh. Rori, Peristila and Siti from West Papua face Indonesian military presence protecting international mining interests and suppressing calls for independence. Subhash and Nari Ram from Nepal have helped to organize 97,000 landless people, get rights for them in the new Constitution and relief for them after the devastating earthquake. They learned a great deal from each other during the workshop and on the breaks as they shared their struggles and strategies.
Report by Nanik, March 2017