Table of Contents
- 6th Annual International Peace Training at Peace Place
- Alla Soroka shares her experience at the 2018 International Peace Training
- May 2018 • Updates from Indonesia
- Christians and Muslims Visit through Study at Joglo Preschool
- 2017 May • Papuans update after returning home from International Peace Training
- Anita reports on the 2017 Peace Training at Peace Place
- 2017 Feb • Hayley describes a transformative experience in Indonesia
- 2017 Feb • Nanik reports on the 4th Annual International Peace Training
- Perspectives on the 2017 International Peace Training
- 2017 Feb • Mentawai Islands
- Compassionate Listening Workshop at Peace Place
- 2017 Feb • Reflections from our 4th Annual International Peace Training
- Joglo Preschool
- 2017 Feb – Mar • 4th Annual International Training for Peace
- 2016 Jul-Aug • Joglo Preschool is Becoming a Model for Others
- Sharing the Power of Goodness at PhilYM
- 2016 June – July • Volunteering at Peace Place – Felicitas Zschoche from Germany
- 2016 June • American family of Four visiting Peace Place
- 2016 April – May • Peace Place Activity Update
- 2016 May-Sept • Feliz Zschoche volunteers at Peace Place
- 2016 March • Earthquake Strikes Mentawai Island
- A Decade of Tsunami Relief: Author chat with Nadine Hoover of Friends Peace Teams
- Tunas Baru Preschool’s First College Graduate!
- Barak Induk: Leaders to Meet Soon
- Presentation to University Muria Kudus, Central Java, Indonesia
- 2016 Jan • International Training at Peace Place
- Update: How you can help the people of Barak Induk
- People of Barak Induk once again under attack
- 2015 Dec – 2016 Jan • Friends Peace Team to Indonesia
- 2015 June • News from Joglo Preschool
- 2015 March • International Training for Peace
- 2015 Feb • Helping At Joglo Preschool
- Stay at the FPT Guesthouse in Pati, Indonesia
- 2014 Jan – Apr • Friends Peace Team Indonesia/Australia
- Never Underestimate the Power of a Few People — Growth Always Comes from Small Sprouts!
- Opening of the Taman Bermain Buemoe Ubeut (Small Earth Playground) Preschool in Langsa
- Petrus Introducing the new Joglo Preschool
- 2012 • Extended Service, Kristina Blank
- 2012 Jan – Mar • Indonesia Peace Team
- 2011 • FRIENDS IN BARAK INDUK UNDER ATTACK
- Children and teachers playing at The Peace Place.
- 2011 • Extended Service, Esther Buckwalter
- We did it! Indonesians run AVP basic workshop in East Aceh
- 2011 • Extend Service Nicholas Rozard
- 2011 Jun – Jul • Indonesia Peace Team
- 2011 April • FWCC Manila Peace Team
- 2011 Feb – Mar • Indonesia Peace Team
- 2009 • Voice of Barak Induk
- An Adventure in Indonesia, Stephen S. Haynes February 2007 unpublished article.
- 2006 • Friends in Conscience in Indonesia, Nadine Hoover; NYYM Spark: NYC, NY.
- 2006 • Alfred Builds Eight Houses In Tsunami Area, Nadine Hoover
- 2005 • Help or Hope for the Acehnese? The Human Face of War, by Nadine Hoover September 2005, unpublished manuscript.
- 2005 • Gratitude to Alfred Residents in Tsunami Aftermath, Nadine Hoover; Alfred Sun: Alfred, NY.
2016 Jul-Aug • Joglo Preschool is Becoming a Model for Others
In July, Joglo Preschool at Peace Place participated in a school competition at the Regency level. The juries were very interested in the mentoring that is done by Joglo staff. They saw how the children are treated with affection and appreciation, and are provided activities that support their development. At that time Joglo was selected to represent preschools from the local Preschool Group at the Provincial competition for Central Java in August. Our FPT-AWP weekly Skype visit was cancelled because they need to attend the Pati School District meeting to prepare for the competition!
On Monday, August 8, 2016 Joglo participated in the Provincial competition. The juries were very impressed and interested in learning about the activities conducted at Joglo. They said Joglo is a child-friendly school and felt the method we use at Joglo could be distributed to others in the region.
Joglo Preschool does not yet receive any public funding as the School District still requires them to sign for more money than they receive. Nanik has said it’s okay for them to take their administrative cut, if that’s needed, she just won’t be able to sign for more than she receives. Although this has caused the teachers significant hardship, receiving only about $35 per month that the parents can pay, rather than $200 per month that the government would most likely pay. But they stand behind their confidence and conviction in the truth. Hopefully this recognition will place pressure on the government to find an honest way to provide the legitimate support they deserve. We look forward to a new day of transparency in education in Pati, Central Java.
Thanks to Friends Peace Teams which supported the purchase of the land next Peace Place. This has allowed us to develop Peace Place activities. With additional support from the parents, Joglo Preschool now has a Traffic Park, so that the children can learn traffic signs, learn how to empathize with others drivers and learn conversation with others in the Traffic Park.