Table of Contents
- 6th Annual International Peace Training at Peace Place
- Alla Soroka shares her experience at the 2018 International Peace Training
- May 2018 • Updates from Indonesia
- Christians and Muslims Visit through Study at Joglo Preschool
- 2017 May • Papuans update after returning home from International Peace Training
- Anita reports on the 2017 Peace Training at Peace Place
- 2017 Feb • Hayley describes a transformative experience in Indonesia
- 2017 Feb • Nanik reports on the 4th Annual International Peace Training
- Perspectives on the 2017 International Peace Training
- 2017 Feb • Mentawai Islands
- Compassionate Listening Workshop at Peace Place
- 2017 Feb • Reflections from our 4th Annual International Peace Training
- Joglo Preschool
- 2017 Feb – Mar • 4th Annual International Training for Peace
- 2016 Jul-Aug • Joglo Preschool is Becoming a Model for Others
- Sharing the Power of Goodness at PhilYM
- 2016 June – July • Volunteering at Peace Place – Felicitas Zschoche from Germany
- 2016 June • American family of Four visiting Peace Place
- 2016 April – May • Peace Place Activity Update
- 2016 May-Sept • Feliz Zschoche volunteers at Peace Place
- 2016 March • Earthquake Strikes Mentawai Island
- A Decade of Tsunami Relief: Author chat with Nadine Hoover of Friends Peace Teams
- Tunas Baru Preschool’s First College Graduate!
- Barak Induk: Leaders to Meet Soon
- Presentation to University Muria Kudus, Central Java, Indonesia
- 2016 Jan • International Training at Peace Place
- Update: How you can help the people of Barak Induk
- People of Barak Induk once again under attack
- 2015 Dec – 2016 Jan • Friends Peace Team to Indonesia
- 2015 June • News from Joglo Preschool
- 2015 March • International Training for Peace
- 2015 Feb • Helping At Joglo Preschool
- Stay at the FPT Guesthouse in Pati, Indonesia
- 2014 Jan – Apr • Friends Peace Team Indonesia/Australia
- Never Underestimate the Power of a Few People — Growth Always Comes from Small Sprouts!
- Opening of the Taman Bermain Buemoe Ubeut (Small Earth Playground) Preschool in Langsa
- Petrus Introducing the new Joglo Preschool
- 2012 • Extended Service, Kristina Blank
- 2012 Jan – Mar • Indonesia Peace Team
- 2011 • FRIENDS IN BARAK INDUK UNDER ATTACK
- Children and teachers playing at The Peace Place.
- 2011 • Extended Service, Esther Buckwalter
- We did it! Indonesians run AVP basic workshop in East Aceh
- 2011 • Extend Service Nicholas Rozard
- 2011 Jun – Jul • Indonesia Peace Team
- 2011 April • FWCC Manila Peace Team
- 2011 Feb – Mar • Indonesia Peace Team
- 2009 • Voice of Barak Induk
- An Adventure in Indonesia, Stephen S. Haynes February 2007 unpublished article.
- 2006 • Friends in Conscience in Indonesia, Nadine Hoover; NYYM Spark: NYC, NY.
- 2006 • Alfred Builds Eight Houses In Tsunami Area, Nadine Hoover
- 2005 • Help or Hope for the Acehnese? The Human Face of War, by Nadine Hoover September 2005, unpublished manuscript.
- 2005 • Gratitude to Alfred Residents in Tsunami Aftermath, Nadine Hoover; Alfred Sun: Alfred, NY.
Sharing the Power of Goodness at PhilYM
On May 15, 2016, Nadine Hoover shared the Power of Goodness with Philadelphia Yearly Meeting’s Southern Quarterly Meeting. We named powers of goodness generally, and we named powers we have for good specifically. Friends shared in pairs and in the large group, getting to know one another better, building community by learning one another’s names, sharing something about ourselves and learning something about each other. We recognized that friendship is not enough, some of the worst violence in the world is among loved ones and neighbors, so we read and shared our understandings of the a small set of agreements:
- Affirm self and others, no put downs or put ups, they’re just hidden self-put-downs.
- Stop, listen, don’t interrupt, recognizing what a difficult time we have really stopping and giving our attention to another.
- Speak simply, without fear of mistakes and giving everyone a chance to speak.
- Volunteer oneself only, don’t volunteer others.
- Tell our own stories, not others’ stories, unless we have permission.
- Exercise one’s right to pass, to not lose the rights we don’t use and to help leaders practicing truly respecting everyone.
- Discharge emotion, then speak directly to one in dispute, don’t go angry, but go and speak directly, not to others.
- Live in integrity with life’s transforming power, with honesty, authenticity, and consistency among belief, action, word and deed.
People around the world say, “Yes, that’s what a good parent, a good teacher, a good community member, a good leader is. That’s what our family / tribe / religion / people taught us, just no one has actually expected us to DO it!” This is not a marginal or alternative culture, this is a healthy peaceful culture we all want.
We read the story Mercy: A Poet’s Memory and talked about who we feel or are being told is our enemy today, and what can we each do to humanize the people we’re afraid of or told to be afraid of.
As you can see in the photos, we also ate well!
Go to: fpt-awp.org to read about what Friends Peace Teams in Asia West Pacific are doing. Join us in early February for our 4th International Peace Training in Pati, Central Java, or go read our current collection of stories at: www.power-of-goodness.info or on Facebook.