Table of Contents
- 6th Annual International Peace Training at Peace Place
- Alla Soroka shares her experience at the 2018 International Peace Training
- May 2018 • Updates from Indonesia
- Christians and Muslims Visit through Study at Joglo Preschool
- 2017 May • Papuans update after returning home from International Peace Training
- Anita reports on the 2017 Peace Training at Peace Place
- 2017 Feb • Hayley describes a transformative experience in Indonesia
- 2017 Feb • Nanik reports on the 4th Annual International Peace Training
- Perspectives on the 2017 International Peace Training
- 2017 Feb • Mentawai Islands
- Compassionate Listening Workshop at Peace Place
- 2017 Feb • Reflections from our 4th Annual International Peace Training
- Joglo Preschool
- 2017 Feb – Mar • 4th Annual International Training for Peace
- 2016 Jul-Aug • Joglo Preschool is Becoming a Model for Others
- Sharing the Power of Goodness at PhilYM
- 2016 June – July • Volunteering at Peace Place – Felicitas Zschoche from Germany
- 2016 June • American family of Four visiting Peace Place
- 2016 April – May • Peace Place Activity Update
- 2016 May-Sept • Feliz Zschoche volunteers at Peace Place
- 2016 March • Earthquake Strikes Mentawai Island
- A Decade of Tsunami Relief: Author chat with Nadine Hoover of Friends Peace Teams
- Tunas Baru Preschool’s First College Graduate!
- Barak Induk: Leaders to Meet Soon
- Presentation to University Muria Kudus, Central Java, Indonesia
- 2016 Jan • International Training at Peace Place
- Update: How you can help the people of Barak Induk
- People of Barak Induk once again under attack
- 2015 Dec – 2016 Jan • Friends Peace Team to Indonesia
- 2015 June • News from Joglo Preschool
- 2015 March • International Training for Peace
- 2015 Feb • Helping At Joglo Preschool
- Stay at the FPT Guesthouse in Pati, Indonesia
- 2014 Jan – Apr • Friends Peace Team Indonesia/Australia
- Never Underestimate the Power of a Few People — Growth Always Comes from Small Sprouts!
- Opening of the Taman Bermain Buemoe Ubeut (Small Earth Playground) Preschool in Langsa
- Petrus Introducing the new Joglo Preschool
- 2012 • Extended Service, Kristina Blank
- 2012 Jan – Mar • Indonesia Peace Team
- 2011 • FRIENDS IN BARAK INDUK UNDER ATTACK
- Children and teachers playing at The Peace Place.
- 2011 • Extended Service, Esther Buckwalter
- We did it! Indonesians run AVP basic workshop in East Aceh
- 2011 • Extend Service Nicholas Rozard
- 2011 Jun – Jul • Indonesia Peace Team
- 2011 April • FWCC Manila Peace Team
- 2011 Feb – Mar • Indonesia Peace Team
- 2009 • Voice of Barak Induk
- An Adventure in Indonesia, Stephen S. Haynes February 2007 unpublished article.
- 2006 • Friends in Conscience in Indonesia, Nadine Hoover; NYYM Spark: NYC, NY.
- 2006 • Alfred Builds Eight Houses In Tsunami Area, Nadine Hoover
- 2005 • Help or Hope for the Acehnese? The Human Face of War, by Nadine Hoover September 2005, unpublished manuscript.
- 2005 • Gratitude to Alfred Residents in Tsunami Aftermath, Nadine Hoover; Alfred Sun: Alfred, NY.
2016 March • Earthquake Strikes Mentawai Island
After the 8.3 earthquake struck Mentawai island on 2 March 2016, I tried to contact our friends there, but we could not get through on the telephone.
I did receive information that Pak Joko, head of the Board for Women and Children’s Empowerment (BPMPKB) and learned that he was safe in South Tuapejat Sipora. There was no tsunmai or damage in his area. We continued to try to contact Homelia and Juniarni, two women who trained at Peace Place and returned to open preschool and parenting education based on nonviolence.
Juniarni lives in a village that had no cell phone signal even before the earthquake. She walks about seven kilometers to Sioban to make a phone call. We continued to try to contact them to see how they and their communities and schools faired.
For reference, I am in Central Java and the Island of Mentawai is off the coast of West Sumatra. It takes about five hours from Semarang to fly to Padang, West Sumatra because we have to transit in Jakarta. Then I must travel by speed boat from Padang to Mentawai for about 3.5 hours, and the boat does not run every day, even in good weather. So, when the cell service is cut off, it takes a great deal of time to get news to and from Mentawai.
We did receive word of Pak Joko from a friend who is on the island and has a satellite phone. In his area there were no casualties, but we continued to take the time to confirm information from other areas on the island.
The people of Mentawai are predominantly Christian and are known to not receive needed resources even under the best of conditions. For this reason we are particularly concerned that we offer this group attention and support when they are in need. And encourage others to do the same.
While it was difficult to make contact, about two weeks after the earthquake, I was finally able to call three friends in Mentawai. They said that there were power outages. And when the earthquake occurred on March 2, they lost communication using satellites. They are working to repair communications. Friends in the Mentawai have communicated that today they are in comfortable circumstances: no damage or casualties from the earthquake on March 2. But there were some reports that in some places on the day of the earthquake people were running toward a higher location in anticipation of a tsunami. It was determined that the epicenter was 682 km west-southwest of the Mentawai Islands, with a depth of 10 kilometers.
The photo below was taken in Mentawai after they rebuilt from the tsunami that occurred 10 October 2010. That earthquake occurred on the same fault that produced the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake. The 2010 earthquake was widely felt across the provinces of Bengkulu and West Sumatra and resulted in a substantial localized tsunami that struck the Mentawai Islands (from Wikipedia).
Thank you for your concerns and support at this scary time.