Table of Contents
- 2017 May • Papuans update after returning home from International Peace Training
- 2017 Feb • Hayley describes a transformative experience in Indonesia
- 2017 Feb • Nanik reports on the 4th Annual International Peace Training
- Perspectives on the 2017 International Peace Training
- 2017 Feb • Mentawai Islands
- Compassionate Listening Workshop at Peace Place
- 2017 Feb • Reflections from our 4th Annual International Peace Training
- Joglo Preschool
- 2017 Feb – Mar • 4th Annual International Training for Peace
- 2016 Jul-Aug • Joglo Preschool is Becoming a Model for Others
- Sharing the Power of Goodness at PhilYM
- 2016 June – July • Volunteering at Peace Place – Felicitas Zschoche from Germany
- 2016 June • American family of Four visiting Peace Place
- 2016 April – May • Peace Place Activity Update
- 2016 May-Sept • Feliz Zschoche volunteers at Peace Place
- 2016 March • Earthquake Strikes Mentawai Island
- A Decade of Tsunami Relief: Author chat with Nadine Hoover of Friends Peace Teams
- Tunas Baru Preschool’s First College Graduate!
- Barak Induk: Leaders to Meet Soon
- Presentation to University Muria Kudus, Central Java, Indonesia
- 2016 Jan • International Training at Peace Place
- Update: How you can help the people of Barak Induk
- People of Barak Induk once again under attack
- 2015 Dec – 2016 Jan • Friends Peace Team to Indonesia
- 2015 June • News from Joglo Preschool
- 2015 March • International Training for Peace
- 2015 Feb • Helping At Joglo Preschool
- Stay at the FPT Guesthouse in Pati, Indonesia
- 2014 Jan – Apr • Friends Peace Team Indonesia/Australia
- Never Underestimate the Power of a Few People — Growth Always Comes from Small Sprouts!
- Opening of the Taman Bermain Buemoe Ubeut (Small Earth Playground) Preschool in Langsa
- Petrus Introducing the new Joglo Preschool
- 2012 • Extended Service, Kristina Blank
- 2012 Jan – Mar • Indonesia Peace Team
- 2011 • FRIENDS IN BARAK INDUK UNDER ATTACK
- Children and teachers playing at The Peace Place.
- 2011 • Extended Service, Esther Buckwalter
- We did it! Indonesians run AVP basic workshop in East Aceh
- 2011 • Extend Service Nicholas Rozard
- 2011 Jun – Jul • Indonesia Peace Team
- 2011 April • FWCC Manila Peace Team
- 2011 Feb – Mar • Indonesia Peace Team
- 2009 • Voice of Barak Induk
- An Adventure in Indonesia, Stephen S. Haynes February 2007 unpublished article.
- 2006 • Friends in Conscience in Indonesia, Nadine Hoover; NYYM Spark: NYC, NY.
- 2006 • Alfred Builds Eight Houses In Tsunami Area, Nadine Hoover
- 2005 • Help or Hope for the Acehnese? The Human Face of War, by Nadine Hoover September 2005, unpublished manuscript.
- 2005 • Gratitude to Alfred Residents in Tsunami Aftermath, Nadine Hoover; Alfred Sun: Alfred, NY.
Tunas Baru Preschool’s First College Graduate!
Legiani graduated with a bachelor’s degree in early childhood development in December 2015! She is dedicated to teaching at Tunas Baru Preschool in Barak Induk as well as planting rubber trees and harvesting latex with her husband. She wrote to Friends Peace Teams to express her gratitude (translated by Nadine Hoover):
Dear Friends Everywhere,
Greeting to all the Friends I miss always.
How are you doing? I hope that we are all well and doing our best, Amen. Here, I want to let you know that I graduated from college! This was possible because of you, your good deeds were received.
Oh ya, I should tell you that I should have walked in graduation this March, but will not be able to because of a small administrative problem from when I was registered. The administration says my file is not complete, which appears to be an obstacle for a number of us, not just me. The problem appears to have been resolved for us to walk in the graduation ceremony in June, as requested by our village head.
Dear Friends, I have enclosed my grades for the duration of my degrees so you can see my areas of study and my level of accomplishment. I hope you are satisfied with my performance as I did the very best I could. I also want to send infinite gratitude to Nadine, who stood by us and believed in us.
I will send a letter again after the graduation ceremony along with pictures.
Thank you friends,
Summarizing her transcript, which was attached, Ani completed 45 classes, averaging 16 credits per semester in nine semesters. She improved significantly over her time in college. Although she received three D’s in educational theory, evaluation and health in her first two years, in her last semester she received A’s in three of her four classes. Her highest marks were in curriculum, materials and practical applications, with B’s in subjects such as management, mathematics, art and civics. She completed this degree in early childhood development as she taught at Tunas Baru Preschool half-day, harvested latex from rubber trees, raised her oldest son and gave birth to her second son.
Ani came to an AVP workshop in 2007 and completely committed to the practice of nonviolence in her life. When she saw the preschool based on nonviolence, she immediately wanted to learn how to interact with children with kindness and love. The change in her, changed her father, mother, sister, whole family, and eventually her husband and two children. Her father is the leading Imam in the village of over 7,000 people. The changes have had major effects. Ani and her sister both had babies recently and their father said, clearly surprised, “I never knew the babies were learning so much!” Ani laughed.
In Blaze Nowara’s film, Silaturahmi: The Power of Visiting, Ani said, “We were a hard people. If a person came from outside, we were very suspicious. They would immediately be beaten up… but now we are more apt to ask first… “What is it you want here?” We’d speak to people now, we wouldn’t just hit them first.” She’s become a dedicated and powerful Alternatives to Violence Project facilitator and preschool teacher, passing on tremendous faith and love and hope.
Ani brings energy and delight to every day!