Table of Contents
- 2017 May • Papuans update after returning home from International Peace Training
- 2017 Feb • Hayley describes a transformative experience in Indonesia
- 2017 Feb • Nanik reports on the 4th Annual International Peace Training
- Perspectives on the 2017 International Peace Training
- 2017 Feb • Mentawai Islands
- Compassionate Listening Workshop at Peace Place
- 2017 Feb • Reflections from our 4th Annual International Peace Training
- Joglo Preschool
- 2017 Feb – Mar • 4th Annual International Training for Peace
- 2016 Jul-Aug • Joglo Preschool is Becoming a Model for Others
- Sharing the Power of Goodness at PhilYM
- 2016 June – July • Volunteering at Peace Place – Felicitas Zschoche from Germany
- 2016 June • American family of Four visiting Peace Place
- 2016 April – May • Peace Place Activity Update
- 2016 May-Sept • Feliz Zschoche volunteers at Peace Place
- 2016 March • Earthquake Strikes Mentawai Island
- A Decade of Tsunami Relief: Author chat with Nadine Hoover of Friends Peace Teams
- Tunas Baru Preschool’s First College Graduate!
- Barak Induk: Leaders to Meet Soon
- Presentation to University Muria Kudus, Central Java, Indonesia
- 2016 Jan • International Training at Peace Place
- Update: How you can help the people of Barak Induk
- People of Barak Induk once again under attack
- 2015 Dec – 2016 Jan • Friends Peace Team to Indonesia
- 2015 June • News from Joglo Preschool
- 2015 March • International Training for Peace
- 2015 Feb • Helping At Joglo Preschool
- Stay at the FPT Guesthouse in Pati, Indonesia
- 2014 Jan – Apr • Friends Peace Team Indonesia/Australia
- Never Underestimate the Power of a Few People — Growth Always Comes from Small Sprouts!
- Opening of the Taman Bermain Buemoe Ubeut (Small Earth Playground) Preschool in Langsa
- Petrus Introducing the new Joglo Preschool
- 2012 • Extended Service, Kristina Blank
- 2012 Jan – Mar • Indonesia Peace Team
- 2011 • FRIENDS IN BARAK INDUK UNDER ATTACK
- Children and teachers playing at The Peace Place.
- 2011 • Extended Service, Esther Buckwalter
- We did it! Indonesians run AVP basic workshop in East Aceh
- 2011 • Extend Service Nicholas Rozard
- 2011 Jun – Jul • Indonesia Peace Team
- 2011 April • FWCC Manila Peace Team
- 2011 Feb – Mar • Indonesia Peace Team
- 2009 • Voice of Barak Induk
- An Adventure in Indonesia, Stephen S. Haynes February 2007 unpublished article.
- 2006 • Friends in Conscience in Indonesia, Nadine Hoover; NYYM Spark: NYC, NY.
- 2006 • Alfred Builds Eight Houses In Tsunami Area, Nadine Hoover
- 2005 • Help or Hope for the Acehnese? The Human Face of War, by Nadine Hoover September 2005, unpublished manuscript.
- 2005 • Gratitude to Alfred Residents in Tsunami Aftermath, Nadine Hoover; Alfred Sun: Alfred, NY.
2014 Jan – Apr • Friends Peace Team Indonesia/Australia
Friends Peace Teams traveled to Indonesia and Australia, January – April 2014.
The Team undertook an ambitious schedule:
16 Jan Arrived in Medan; Friends Peace Team to Aceh, N Sumatra, Central Java
14 Feb Departed Jakarta
15 Feb Arrived in Sydney; Nadine Hoover Sojourning at Silver Wattle
26 Mar Departed Sydney
26 Mar Arrived in Jakarta; Friends Peace Team to Central Java, N Sumatra, Aceh
23 Apr Departed Medan
Visiting with friends working for peace in Indonesia and Australia!
After thirty years of war, a global tsunami and the inevitable impoverishment that follows, Aceh has become a very difficult place to make friends and sustain any effort. We remind ourselves that we could go elsewhere, where it is easier to work, but that is not the point. This is the front line where the work is the most difficult. Those in Aceh recognize this themselves. They are seeking those who will actually sustain interest and activity, who those people can and want to work with, and who can offer a bit more stability than everyday life or community tends to offer.
In January 2014, Nadine Hoover visited Barak Induk where we have successfully abated the violence people there have endured since 2000, when they were exiled during the war. They are now recognized by the local government, so are beginning to receive infrastructure such as electricity, voting rights and recognition of their schools. Nadine visited the four teachers who are receiving scholarships for college, Mislan, Ani, Egi and Suci, and the rest of the New Sprouts Preschool. She also saw the new reading room we have just constructed and discussed how to begin getting books. Nadine also delivered the A, B, C books newly published in Indonesian, English and Dutch and visited with Ani to discuss the next 2-3 books to publish. We have given the adults and young children significant attention, but there is a group of teenagers, mostly young men, who were toddlers at the time of their exile, who watched our work as they grew up and the effects on others, but had not participated much themselves directly. They were angry, volatile and dropping out of school. Nadine offered to do a workshop just for them and they were instantly excited, so this trip Nadine, Mislan, Miswati and Ifau facilitated the AVP basic and trauma healing workshops with them!
Then Nadine went to Aceh to visit with friends there and learn about conditions there now. Nadine supported a team in offering the trauma healing workshop at the Chrysalis Preschool for parents, teachers, activists and psychologists. They are looking for the right people and infrastructure to be able to maintain workshops after Bowo and Tina return to Java in October 2014.
Then Nadine went to Peace Place in Pati, Central Java. Petrus and Nanik requested a Discernment workshop and discussion of the development of their organizational structure. We also took the remaining photographs necessary to complete the Block Book and finished the packaging to begin distributing the developmental toys.
_ _ _
Mid-February Nadine traveled to Silver Wattle Quaker Centre where she received a writing residency to finish the Discernment Manual and “one glass of water”, including designing a museum exhibition to accompany the publication of “one glass of water”. During her stay there, she joined the Australians in a Friends Peace Teams Gathering to celebrate the Australians joining Friends Peace Teams at our 20th Anniversary and discuss future plans. They also requested a Discernment workshop and she meet with leaders from the Quaker community and the First Nations to share similarities in the conditions in Aceh and First Nations communities.
_ _ _
At the end of March, Nadine returned to Indonesia with a team, currently two Australians, Vidya Sutton and Judy Simpson and two North Americans working in Asia, Dwight Burton and Jaye Starr. The team went to SHEEP in Jogjakarta to offer AVP to a group of teenagers there struggling with violence. They then traveled to a traditional Javanese community where a few teachers had gone to Peace Place for training and wanted to bring AVP to their whole community. By the beginning of April, the team had the opportunity to visit the ceramic and microbiology labs to see their water filter production capacity.
From there the team went the Friends’ Guesthouse at Peace Place in Pati to support the Peace Place trainers in apprenticing on facilitation of the trauma healing workshop. The team then spent some time working with the preschool, after-school and parent education programs as well as the production of toys and books.
16-23/Jan • Barak Induk
23-31/Jan • Aceh
1-14/Feb • Peace Place in Pati
14/Feb – 26/Mar • Silver Wattle Quaker Centre, Bungendore, Australia
21-23/Mar • Friends Peace Teams Gathering
23/Mar-1/Apr • Living Life by Discernment Course
14-16/Mar • First Nations Gathering
26/Mar – 6/Apr • Jogjakarta
7-23/Apr • Peace Place in Pati