Table of Contents
- 6th Annual International Peace Training at Peace Place
- Alla Soroka shares her experience at the 2018 International Peace Training
- May 2018 • Updates from Indonesia
- Christians and Muslims Visit through Study at Joglo Preschool
- 2017 May • Papuans update after returning home from International Peace Training
- Anita reports on the 2017 Peace Training at Peace Place
- 2017 Feb • Hayley describes a transformative experience in Indonesia
- 2017 Feb • Nanik reports on the 4th Annual International Peace Training
- Perspectives on the 2017 International Peace Training
- 2017 Feb • Mentawai Islands
- Compassionate Listening Workshop at Peace Place
- 2017 Feb • Reflections from our 4th Annual International Peace Training
- Joglo Preschool
- 2017 Feb – Mar • 4th Annual International Training for Peace
- 2016 Jul-Aug • Joglo Preschool is Becoming a Model for Others
- Sharing the Power of Goodness at PhilYM
- 2016 June – July • Volunteering at Peace Place – Felicitas Zschoche from Germany
- 2016 June • American family of Four visiting Peace Place
- 2016 April – May • Peace Place Activity Update
- 2016 May-Sept • Feliz Zschoche volunteers at Peace Place
- 2016 March • Earthquake Strikes Mentawai Island
- A Decade of Tsunami Relief: Author chat with Nadine Hoover of Friends Peace Teams
- Tunas Baru Preschool’s First College Graduate!
- Barak Induk: Leaders to Meet Soon
- Presentation to University Muria Kudus, Central Java, Indonesia
- 2016 Jan • International Training at Peace Place
- Update: How you can help the people of Barak Induk
- People of Barak Induk once again under attack
- 2015 Dec – 2016 Jan • Friends Peace Team to Indonesia
- 2015 June • News from Joglo Preschool
- 2015 March • International Training for Peace
- 2015 Feb • Helping At Joglo Preschool
- Stay at the FPT Guesthouse in Pati, Indonesia
- 2014 Jan – Apr • Friends Peace Team Indonesia/Australia
- Never Underestimate the Power of a Few People — Growth Always Comes from Small Sprouts!
- Opening of the Taman Bermain Buemoe Ubeut (Small Earth Playground) Preschool in Langsa
- Petrus Introducing the new Joglo Preschool
- 2012 • Extended Service, Kristina Blank
- 2012 Jan – Mar • Indonesia Peace Team
- 2011 • FRIENDS IN BARAK INDUK UNDER ATTACK
- Children and teachers playing at The Peace Place.
- 2011 • Extended Service, Esther Buckwalter
- We did it! Indonesians run AVP basic workshop in East Aceh
- 2011 • Extend Service Nicholas Rozard
- 2011 Jun – Jul • Indonesia Peace Team
- 2011 April • FWCC Manila Peace Team
- 2011 Feb – Mar • Indonesia Peace Team
- 2009 • Voice of Barak Induk
- An Adventure in Indonesia, Stephen S. Haynes February 2007 unpublished article.
- 2006 • Friends in Conscience in Indonesia, Nadine Hoover; NYYM Spark: NYC, NY.
- 2006 • Alfred Builds Eight Houses In Tsunami Area, Nadine Hoover
- 2005 • Help or Hope for the Acehnese? The Human Face of War, by Nadine Hoover September 2005, unpublished manuscript.
- 2005 • Gratitude to Alfred Residents in Tsunami Aftermath, Nadine Hoover; Alfred Sun: Alfred, NY.
2012 Jan – Mar • Indonesia Peace Team
Friends Peace Teams traveled to Indonesia, January 7 – March 25, 2012.
Nadine Hoover traveled to Australia Yearly Meeting, January 10-14, then went directly to Australia Alternatives to Violence Project (AVP) National Gathering, January 15-18, and directly on to facilitate an AVP Advanced Trauma Healing Workshop, all in Perth, Australia. She then flew to Jakarta, where she just missed Joe Dosch returning from his visit to the Friends Peace Teams Water Filter Project, January 10-23, 2011.
Nicholas Rozard accompanied Nadine in visiting Peace Place in Pati, Central Java; Barak Induk in North Sumatra; and friends in East Aceh. Kristina Blank, a student at the University of Buffalo, joined Nadine and Nick from February 3 to March 26. The first half of her time was spent joining in training in nonviolence, trauma healing and developmental play for peace; the second half of her time she returned to Yogyakarta with Nick to work on the water filter research.
The primary purposes of this trip was to train facilitators at Peace Place Pati and in North Sumatra, support prototype development of the water filters, set the groundwork for fair trade with Acehnese artisans, check on the progress of the Amnesty International Campaign and to develop guidelines and directions for sharing the organizing responsibilities for future Peace Team Trips among other companions, both from inside and outside Indonesia.
Peace Place Pati and North Sumatra are both interested in establishing on-going Alternatives to Violence Project workshops in community building, trauma healing and developmental play for peace. SHEEP is very committed to supporting the development of a factory to produce the water filters, seeking adequate engineering support to do so.
Activities in Aceh suffer from instability and inconsistency. Volunteers from outside Aceh lose patience with the frustration of working with people who are heavily traumatized and who frequently suffer from severe depression. Recognizing the difficulties and taxing nature of on-going programs in East Aceh, our approach is shifting. Courageous Gifts, the storefront for Conscience Studio, has invested in formalizing fair trade relationships with Acehnese female artisans. Net proceeds beyond expenses are donated to Friends Peace Teams to Indonesia to support workshops, education and health for communities of these artisans. This provides the stability of income and also directly addresses issues of occupation, oppression, imbalance of power and “sharing the wealth” that Aceh has struggled with for centuries. We are in the early stages of exploring and developing this new approach.
Finally, Nick and Nadine worked with the Indonesians to develop better shared understandings and guidelines for making this a standing, on-going program, where Indonesians and foreigners alike share responsibility for establishing the calendar of trips, organizing the activities and documenting the news of our work.