Table of Contents
- Christians and Muslims Visit through Study at Joglo Preschool
- 2017 May • Papuans update after returning home from International Peace Training
- Anita reports on the 2017 Peace Training at Peace Place
- 2017 Feb • Hayley describes a transformative experience in Indonesia
- 2017 Feb • Nanik reports on the 4th Annual International Peace Training
- Perspectives on the 2017 International Peace Training
- 2017 Feb • Mentawai Islands
- Compassionate Listening Workshop at Peace Place
- 2017 Feb • Reflections from our 4th Annual International Peace Training
- Joglo Preschool
- 2017 Feb – Mar • 4th Annual International Training for Peace
- 2016 Jul-Aug • Joglo Preschool is Becoming a Model for Others
- Sharing the Power of Goodness at PhilYM
- 2016 June – July • Volunteering at Peace Place – Felicitas Zschoche from Germany
- 2016 June • American family of Four visiting Peace Place
- 2016 April – May • Peace Place Activity Update
- 2016 May-Sept • Feliz Zschoche volunteers at Peace Place
- 2016 March • Earthquake Strikes Mentawai Island
- A Decade of Tsunami Relief: Author chat with Nadine Hoover of Friends Peace Teams
- Tunas Baru Preschool’s First College Graduate!
- Barak Induk: Leaders to Meet Soon
- Presentation to University Muria Kudus, Central Java, Indonesia
- 2016 Jan • International Training at Peace Place
- Update: How you can help the people of Barak Induk
- People of Barak Induk once again under attack
- 2015 Dec – 2016 Jan • Friends Peace Team to Indonesia
- 2015 June • News from Joglo Preschool
- 2015 March • International Training for Peace
- 2015 Feb • Helping At Joglo Preschool
- Stay at the FPT Guesthouse in Pati, Indonesia
- 2014 Jan – Apr • Friends Peace Team Indonesia/Australia
- Never Underestimate the Power of a Few People — Growth Always Comes from Small Sprouts!
- Opening of the Taman Bermain Buemoe Ubeut (Small Earth Playground) Preschool in Langsa
- Petrus Introducing the new Joglo Preschool
- 2012 • Extended Service, Kristina Blank
- 2012 Jan – Mar • Indonesia Peace Team
- 2011 • FRIENDS IN BARAK INDUK UNDER ATTACK
- Children and teachers playing at The Peace Place.
- 2011 • Extended Service, Esther Buckwalter
- We did it! Indonesians run AVP basic workshop in East Aceh
- 2011 • Extend Service Nicholas Rozard
- 2011 Jun – Jul • Indonesia Peace Team
- 2011 April • FWCC Manila Peace Team
- 2011 Feb – Mar • Indonesia Peace Team
- 2009 • Voice of Barak Induk
- An Adventure in Indonesia, Stephen S. Haynes February 2007 unpublished article.
- 2006 • Friends in Conscience in Indonesia, Nadine Hoover; NYYM Spark: NYC, NY.
- 2006 • Alfred Builds Eight Houses In Tsunami Area, Nadine Hoover
- 2005 • Help or Hope for the Acehnese? The Human Face of War, by Nadine Hoover September 2005, unpublished manuscript.
- 2005 • Gratitude to Alfred Residents in Tsunami Aftermath, Nadine Hoover; Alfred Sun: Alfred, NY.
Christians and Muslims Visit through Study at Joglo Preschool
Joglo Preschool at Peace Place, Pati, Central Java, Indonesia
by Petrus of Peace Place
In May 2017, Peace Place was visited by three preschool and church organizers asking for information on how to set up a school. Many parents asked for individual consultation about their child. These visits happen because people heard that Joglo Preschool accompanies children well. As Nanik and Erni study at the Open University in Pati they meet and share with many fellow university students who are learning how to accompany children as teachers and caregivers.
The visitors say Joglo’s mentoring is different than they have ever seen, and cannot even be found elsewhere. For example, as like silence, the opening where children learn to sit silently together, listen to the silence, and each speaks in turns while all the other children listen and wait in silence. Teachers remain calm and visibly show self-control by not helping the child quickly, but rather by supporting the child with a smile until they can find and use their words.
Besides these interested college colleagues, an Islamic Preschool and a Mennonite Church visited Peace Place.
On May 15, 2017 Raudatul Falah Foundation from Bermi Village in Gembong, Pati came to visit. They came with six people consisting of teachers and the board of their school foundation. They were interested in the arrangement of the playground and how to instill the recognition of the value of understanding and appreciation among the children through play.
On May 17, 2017, two teachers from Bintang Kecil Preschool in Margorejo, Pati came for observation. One of them has been joining the Alternatives to Violence Project training. They wanted to learn how to accompany children and how to provide the right play materials to support the stages of children’s development.
On May 25, 2017, RA Thoriquthul Ulum from Wedarijaksa, Pati visited and learned how to accompany children more calmly. They asked a lot about the development of children, play in the various centers, how to support learning and how to know the stages of development so as to facilitate in support of their learning.
On May 30, 2017, RA Masyithah from Wedarijaksa, Pati came with 12 teachers and their principal.
On May 31, 2017, three Sunday School teachers from the Gembong Church came for observation who are planning to establish an early childhood education program.
Learning from these visits, we see how the mentoring of early childhood developed by Peace Place through Joglo Preschool by integrating basic methods of nonviolence can become an important tool for learning together, especially when mentoring children. Recognition as a demonstration school is a big challenge for Peace Place, because we must maintain, apply and develop the knowledge consistently for the many children who come to Joglo Preschool because they need special attention.